Thursday 23 February 2012

Transition and the worlds we never see


So once again busy busy busy. Naturally after two long weeks of experiments my supervisor came all the way from the UK to visit for a whole week. This meant little rest, lots of meeting and some very exciting developments. It seems that he is confident in the results I obtained early this month, I’m glad someone is, and really wants to push forward with obtaining time using the XFEL. That's the main reason I haven’t blogged much, I’ve been too busy writing the proposal.

This marks a big turning point in my research I feel. I’m finally starting to feel like the project is mine rather than just picking up the pieces of someone’s work. I feel a bit more confident talking about it and arguing it’s relevance with others, can only be a good thing right?

Transition is the word I used in the title because I’m getting there, just not all the way yet. I think most of life is spent in this state and in fact that's also hit home recently. I’m finally starting to get comfortable in this country, whilst no A grade conversationalist I can express feelings and ideas a bit more now rather than basic wants. I feel more confident as a scientist, a colleague who is 12 years my senior not only asked me for some advice on an experiment but listened it.

It’s been pretty wild but I’ve definitely come out of these past two months standing a little bit taller and firmer. I can’t believe that I’ll have been here a year next month. Frankly speaking two years ago I never thought I’d have made it to a PhD and here I am.
Transition and change are what make life so exciting and scary. Transitions can be beautiful and problematic, usually both at the same time. We may hate the instability but they usually contain an incredible moment of calm where things just start to make sense. Suddenly the changes are just happening without any real effort.

It was this realization that actually made me pay a bit more attention to where I was going on my way to renew my visa today, a wonderful experience in Japanese bureaucracy as always. I had to head to the port on the southside of Himeji.

The weather was rubbish, spatters of rain and heavily overcast, so as usual I plugged in my headphones and sat down with a book on the bus. The journey was a good 2 hours on public transport from my house to the immigration office so I thought I’d get a bit of reading done.

I’m not sure when but on the way to the port I noticed out of the corner of my eye that all the buildings had started to change. Suddenly the high rises disappeared and fairly shabby looking old buildings surrounded me. I’d never been to the south side of Himeji and it was in stark contrast to the built up city centre. This shouldn’t be so strange really but it’s so easy to get wrapped up in your usual routine that you can miss the new little worlds that surround you.

In fact it hit me then that I was starting to let living here become routine. I’m not sure if this is good or bad but Japan still has so many surprises to offer. I’m vowing now to try and take opportunities to travel and experience whenever I can. I’m happiest in transit I think so maybe I should spend more time that way.

The port itself isn’t so impressive really, though that may just have been the poor weather. I was hit by some massive nostalgia though. Some aspects really reminded me strongly of the Pier head back home and, looking at a stair set opposite the bus station, I couldn’t help but be transported to that fifteen year old mosher state thinking about the best tricks I could pull off down it on my board.

I took this new mindset back to central Himeji with me. I got off the bus early so I could take a leisurely stroll back to the station. I walked down the main high street with my newbie eyes on, taking everything in. It was nice just being excited by the freshness again, and that I could still make new discoveries. I noticed a Fugu restaurant on the way back.

Fugu is the infamous Japanese puffer fish that if prepared incorrectly can kill. Kind of brings new meaning to the term dicing with death. I’ve not tried it yet, I’ve not fancied going into a restaurant on my own. Although people have assured me I’m not really missing anything I think I need to give it a go at least once.

One more exciting thing. I’ve been entered into the I’m a Scientist get me out of here competition run by the BBSRC. For a whole month I’ll be interacting with secondary school kids up and down the UK answering their questions about my research and life as a researcher. I’m equally excited and apprehensive.

I have no idea what kind of questions to expect or how I’m going to find the time. Still it should be fun all the same and I always bang on about the importance of scientists communicating their science, especially to young people. It’ll be a great experience anyway, I just hope I’m not voted out first.

Ja mata ne




(here’s a link to the competition: http://imascientist.org.uk/)

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing that you can see the transition and also how your developing your confidence. We've both known you've nothing to be un-confident about and I'm glad its coming to fruition.
    It's amazing to me that we can be all the way across the world, but still think back and see the things we know from other places. Kind of makes the world seem a little smaller... and that I need to get out and see more of it.

    I'm really happy for you man-- identify the aspects of this transition that make you uncomfortable and embrace them and befriend them.

    Take care mate!

    ReplyDelete